Dead in bed. What are you doing for safer pain?

By Gina Pugliese, RN, MS, FSHEA (Vice President, Premier Safety Institute)

18-year-old Amanda came down with strep throat after her high school graduation party. Her parents never thought the treatment she received in the hospital would abruptly end her life.

I recently heard Cindy Abbiehl share the heartbreaking story of her daughter Amanda who died from treatment for strep throat. Amanda had developed an extremely painful episode of strep throat and couldn’t eat. She was hospitalized for treatment of dehydration, prescribed antibiotics and was initially given IV morphine (an opioid) for the pain.Dead in bed. What are you doing for safer #pain? #opioid #ptsafety Click To Tweet

Amanda Abbiehl

To read the full article, please visit Action for Better Healthcare at

Leave a Comment, if You Care About Patient Safety